Photography Changes Everything: First Details of BPF18 Festival
Barry Falk, from the series Thresholds of the Mind, 2018
This October, Brighton Photo Fringe presents its 8th edition and this year we’re taking our inspiration from Marvin Heiferman’s 2012 book and project for the Smithsonian Photography Initiative: click! photography changes everything.
The work explored the many ways photography shapes our culture and our lives, how photography changes “who we are, what we do, what we see, where we go, what we want and what we remember.”
Photography actively influences how we see and understand the world and how we live in it. By showcasing a vast range of photography we hope to engage you, and the communities around you, in debate about how we might harness photography to create a better world. Through images, we want you to think and talk about how photographs can inspire new feelings, thoughts and actions. And we want to inspire you to use photography in new ways.
THE BPF18 PROGRAMME INCLUDES
- A series of self curated exhibitions in popup venues
- OPEN18 SOLO at ONCA with an installation by Sarah Howe and a showreel of twenty other shortlisted artists.
- OPEN18 Moving Image at ONCA, a selection of 10 moving image works
- OPEN18 Young Photographers, twenty selected artists on the Outdoor Hub
- OPEN18 Participate, our new community project for the Outdoor Hub
- Collectives’ Hub at Phoenix Brighton, showing 10 collectives work
- Artist Residency at Colonnade House, Worthing by Jack Latham
- Photo Hastings Hub at Hastings Arts Forum with ‘Not the Final Major Project’
- Trainee Curators Programme for 3 emerging curators
KEY BPF18 EVENTS
- 29 September – Launch Events from 5pm.
- 30 September – Talk by Sarah Howe, OPEN18 Winner
- 20 & 21 October – Photo Publishers Market
- 27 October – Panel Discussion and International Festival Showcase, ACCA Various dates – Talks, Workshops, Guided Tours